Visit Neighborhood Information to locate zoning for a particular property.
Visit SeeClickFix to report a zoning issue or concern.
Please email your zoning enforcement questions, requests or leave a voicemail by contacting 763-494-6059. Include your name, phone number, question, and the address of the property you are referring to.
A permit is not required to install a fence. Property lines are identified with the site survey. To locate property lines and stakes, a metal detector is helpful or hire a lot surveyor. View the handout on fences (PDF).
A permit is not required to install a driveway. It cannot be larger than 24 feet wide on the street and must be 5 feet from the property line and 1 foot from the side of the garage. View the driveway handout (PDF).
Garages and sheds
Attached and detached garages and detached sheds are classified as accessory buildings and the size, height, and location of each are regulated by the zoning ordinance. Permits are required for most garages and sheds. Please call the Building Department for more information at 763-494-6060. Review the handout on garages and sheds (PDF).
Exterior storage in residential districts
All storage in residential districts must be contained inside a building except for:
- Up to two licensed and operable recreational vehicles or non-stationary pieces of recreational equipment.
- Construction and landscaping material currently being used on the premises.
- Off-street parking of licensed and operable passenger vehicles when parked on paved surfaces.
- Items normally associated with outdoor residential uses such as lawn furniture, grills, or firewood.
- Recycling containers provided by the City of Maple Grove as long as the containers are not in view from the public right-of-way and neighboring properties on non-collection days.
Garage sales and signs
Garage sales may be held provided that:
- Sale is conducted inside the principal or accessory structure.
- The number of sales does not exceed four per year.
- Sale does not last longer than three consecutive days.
Garage sale signs may be displayed provided that:
- Signs are posted no more than five days in an eight-day period.
- Signs are placed with the permission of the person controlling the property on which the sign is placed or, if a public right-of-way, with the permission of the adjoining property owner.
- Signs are removed at the termination of the sale.
At the direction of the Department of Natural Resources, Maple Grove has adopted regulations for the placement of structures in shoreland areas. Any structures on the city's lakes, whether temporary or permanent except for docks and piers, must be set back a minimum of 75 feet from the ordinary high water mark (OHM). On a residential lot, the OHM can most easily be described as the point where the grass stops growing and the lake bottom (sand, etc.) begins.
Water-oriented accessory structures can be set back less than 75 feet from the OHM if slope conditions along the entire width of a property are 4:1 or steeper over a minimum horizontal distance of 16 feet. Structures set back less than 75 feet can be no greater than 10 feet in height nor 100 square feet in area. The minimum setback from the OHM is 25 feet.
Emergency vehicle drivers need good, highly visible house numbers. City ordinances require that house numbers be at least 3 ½ inches in height, in a contrasting color to the base, and either lighted or made of some reflective material. The numbers must also be visible from the street and not hidden behind trees or bushes.
If you have a home occupation in the City of Maple Grove, you must follow the home occupation rules (PDF).
Home occupations are not required to register with the City of Maple Grove. However, you should contact the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) regarding your business. For questions, call 651-259-7114 or visit the DEED website. You can also call the Community and Economic Development Department at 763-494-6040.