- Voter registration
- Election Day Registration Requirements
Election Day registration requirements
If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at your local polling location on Election Day. However, you are required to provide certain acceptable forms of identification to prove your eligibility when registering on Election Day.
To register at your polling place on Election Day, you must have one of the following to verify your residence:
- An authorized employee of a residential facility where you reside who can confirm your address (the residential facility must provide a list of employees to election officials)
- A notice of late registration that was sent to you from your county auditor
- A Tribal ID card that contains your name, address, photo, and signature in the precinct
- A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card or receipt for any of these containing a valid address in the precinct
- A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address
- A valid student ID card including your photo, if your college has provided a student housing list to election officials
- A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
Alternatively, voters may register by a combination of one photo ID from Column 1 and one type of bill from Column 2.
One photo ID and one bill
Approved photo IDs must contain the voter's name and photo. It may contain the voter's old address or have no address.
Type of photo IDs (may be expired)
- Minnesota or another state's driver's license, learner's permit, or state ID
- Student ID from Minnesota secondary or post-secondary school
- Tribal ID Card with name, signature, and photo
- United States Military ID Card or Veteran ID Card
- United States Passport
Eligible original bills (delivered by U.S. Mail or electronically), including account statements and start of service notifications dated or due date, is 30 days before the election. Must contain current name and address in the precinct.
Types of bills (delivered electronically or by mail)
- Credit card or banking services
- Current student fee statement
- Garbage/solid waste
- Internet services
- Natural gas
- Residential lease or rental agreement if valid through Election Day
- Telephone or cell phone
- TV (cable, satellite, etc.)