Outdoor skating rinks
Outdoor skating rinks are closed for the season. See you next winter.
The outdoor rinks are open for use during park hours: 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Lights will be on daily from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Rink supervisors will be on duty rotating sites during the following hours:
- Monday - Friday: 4 to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturdays and Sundays: Noon to 8:30 p.m.
- Holidays and non-school days: Noon to 8:30 p.m.
Hockey, pleasure rinks, shelter, and lights
- Boundary Creek Park
10122 104th Ave N
- Cedar Island Elementary School
6701 East Fish Lake Rd
- Gleason Fields
18815 67th Ave N
- Kerber Park
9095 Elm Creek Blvd
- Maple Grove Middle School
7000 Hemlock Ln
- Weaver Lake Park
8401 Dunkirk Ln
Hockey, pleasure rinks, shelter without lights
- Thoresen Special Use Park
6259 Eagle Lake Dr
Benches and restrooms are available at each site.
Ice rental is available during non-business hours.
- For continuous updates, call the weather information line at 763-494-5959.
- For questions, contact the outdoor skating rink coordinator at 763-494-6516, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Outdoor ice rinks update (winter 2023)
Since early 2020, the Park Board has been reviewing the outdoor rink program participation and operations. In October 2022, a comparison matrix of like communities outdoor rink programs, an operating expense report, and stakeholder feedback was presented to the Park Board.
Four rink sites -- Boundary Creek, Elm Creek School, Donahue North, and Thoresen -- were identified for study due to consistently low participation numbers as well as their close proximity to other more popular rinks. During the 2022- 2023 outdoor ice season, public engagement took place at the four sites:
- Informational signage was placed at the rinks and inside the park shelters.
- Public comments were collected on the park and recreation website.
- Check-in onsite attendance was taken via QR code.
- Staff-observed attendance data was also collected.
A full community engagement and participation report was presented at the May 18 Park Board meeting and is available online to review.
With the trending low participation, along with the anticipation of future outdoor rinks in the northwest quadrant of Maple Grove, the Park Board approved the staff recommendation to reduce the number of outdoor rinks. Both Elm Creek School and Donahue North outdoor rinks will be discontinued. Boundary Creek and Thoresen will continue to serve the northeast and southeast quadrants.
Reducing the number of rinks in the program allows staff to provide better ice and snow maintenance at the remaining sites. One hockey rink at Gleason will reopen this year with a concrete base. This pilot project will help provide insight for future rinks and replacement projects.